Smoke alarms are put in all our homes or flats for your safety - one in each bedroom, the living areas, hallway and attached garages. They are reliable so long as you look after them. If you think a smoke alarm may be faulty, let us know straight away.
Test them once a month and when you get home after being away. To test, press the test/reset button for about two seconds. The alarm will sound. When you take your finger off the button it will have reset and the light will blink continuously.
Clean smoke alarms every 6 months by gently dusting with a vacuum cleaner brush.
Call us on 0800 801 601 if:
- the red light stops blinking
- there is no alarm when you press the test/reset button
- the smoke alarm continuously makes an unusual noise or chirps.
If you set off the smoke alarm by accident - say with burnt toast - open the windows to air out the house and press the hush button if it has one.
Keep furniture, clothes and curtains at least 1 metre from heaters and the fireplace. Ashes can take up to 5 days to cool so put them in a metal container well away from the house. Always turn off your electric blanket at the wall before getting into bed.
Cooking sparks many fires. Here are a few ways to avoid them:
- don't leave anything cooking on the stove unattended
- turn off the heat if the oil or fat is smoking
- keep curtains, plastic electric jugs and tea towels away from the stove
- regularly empty crumbs from the toaster and clean the oven.
Page updated: 7 October 2019