Maintaining your home
Maintaining your Kāinga Ora home, modifying a home for disability and tradespeople visiting your home.
Here's a good to know video that will help you when something needs fixing in your home.Verify to Continue
Kāinga Ora will:
- make sure your home is clean and tidy when you move in
- keep your home in good structural condition - we have an ongoing maintenance programme for all our properties
- do any urgent repairs as quickly as possible
- check that your smoke detectors work
- repair normal wear and tear as soon as possible.
For urgent and general repairs or maintenance enquiries, call us on 0800 801 601 and select 'option 4 - repairs and maintenance', anytime. You can also log a job online using MyKaingaOra anytime, and from the comfort of your home.
Urgent repairs are problems that affect your health and safety. We'll fix these within 4 hours, wherever possible.
Urgent repairs can include:
- blocked drains, toilet or sewage problems
- gas leaks or bad water leaks
- no power or hot water
- electrical faults.
If the work isn't urgent we'll get a contractor to size the job within 10 working days.
They may decide that the job needs to be done as soon as possible or that the job becomes part of our planned maintenance programme. Often it makes sense to do a repair, like painting or upgrades over several houses at once rather than doing a repair separately. We will work with you on the best solution.
|Type of maintenance||Target response time|
|Urgent health and safety maintenance responses||4 hours|
|Urgent responsive maintenance (not health and safety-related)||48 hours|
|General responsive maintenance (non-urgent maintenance)||10 days|
|Responsive scope (larger defects or follow on work after a temporary repair has been done)||30 days|
Doing my own maintenance repairs
If you want to do some maintenance around your house, talk with us first at the Customer Support Centre on 0800 801 601 and select 'option 4 - repairs and maintenance'.
You may do small repairs like tightening screws and changing light bulbs on your own.
You don't need to call us about these jobs unless you are not confident doing them yourself or if you don't have the right tools to do the job safely.
We have standards that must be met and will check your work. If it doesn't meet our standards contractors may have to redo the work, which you might have to pay for.
Modifying a home for disability
If you are an existing Kāinga Ora customer and you have a disability or mobility need that require modifications to your accommodation, contact us to discuss your options.
Contractors that work for us are bound by a Code of Conduct. This requires them to:
- contact you to agree a time for the repairs to be done - unless the job is urgent in which case we would assume you would be home
- leave their name, address, phone number, date, time and reason for calling if you are not home when they call
- show you their identification before entering your home
- leave your house safe, clean and tidy at the end of every work day, and remove their rubbish
- respect your privacy and treat your house and possessions with care
- be appropriately dressed and polite to you at all times.
You can help by:
- being home at the agreed time or giving us plenty of notice if you're not going to be home
- moving furniture and personal items that may be in the way
- keeping children and pets out of harm's way.
Page updated: 22 September 2021