Find out how to make sure rent payments are as easy as possible. We are here to help you.


Kāinga Ora wants to make it easier for people to move into a warm, dry home. From Sunday 7 April 2019 you do not need to pay a bond when you move in.


It’s really important that you pay your rent on time and don’t get into debt. This can quickly spiral out of control creating a stressful situation for you and your family. It is also a breach of your tenancy agreement.

We are here to help you. If you know you’re going to miss a payment or have already, call us on 0800 801 601 and we can work with you to come up with a plan on how you can repay this and sustain your tenancy.

Damage to your home

If you cause damage to your home, for example break a window, you need to call us on 0800 801 601 to talk about options.

Income-related rent

If you pay an income-related rent, the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) will review your rent annually around the anniversary of your move-in date.

Once your rent has been reviewed, MSD will write to you to let you know if it is changing and what those changes will be. MSD will then send you a form to fill out about four months before your rent is due to change.

If you don't want to apply for income-related rent, or your income is over the threshold, we may charge the market rent for the property.

Remember to let us know immediately if your circumstances change.

For more information

  • Call Ministry of Social Development on 0800 559 009.
  • They also have more information, including frequently asked questions, on their website(external link)

Questions or help?

If you have any questions call us between 8am-6pm Monday-Friday on 0800 801 601 and press ‘2 - Rent, payment or account enquiries’.

When you call, have your customer reference number handy.

Change of circumstances

If your circumstances change while you are waiting for a Kāinga Ora home, or when you are already living in one, you need to notify the Ministry of Social Development right away by calling Work and Income on 0800 559 009 or Senior Services on 0800 552 002 if you’re over 65.

Read more on what you need to do if your circumstances change

Budgeting advice

There are agencies and budgeting services that can help manage your budgets or payments. They offer a range of services that can help assisting yourself or your family.

Page updated: 14 February 2020