What are the different contacts?

The COVID-19 team have put together a quick quide that explains what the four different types of contacts are, and what you should do if you are told, or believe, you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.

With all four types of contact, if any person develops symptoms, they should get tested, even if they have had an earlier test, and they should stay at home while awaiting the test result.

All contacts need to check the specific advice relevant to them on the Ministry of Health website and call Healthline 0800 3585453 if they have any questions.

For more information go to Covid19.govt.nz(external link) or download the factsheet [PDF, 93 KB].


Help with essential costs

If you can’t work at the moment, have lost your job, or are working fewer hours. If you’re sick or need time off work because of COVID-19, Work and Income may be able to help you even if you're working, even if you don’t think you qualify, call us to talk about your situation.

For more information

Supporting workers through COVID-19

There's a range of financial support available to help workers affected by COVID-19 as Alert Levels change.

Support for businesses whose revenue has dropped

The COVID-19 Wage Subsidy has been reintroduced to help businesses and self-employed people whose revenue has dropped because Auckland is now at Alert Level 3. It’s to help them keep paying workers, or themselves if they are self-employed, and protect jobs. This includes workers on casual contracts. Employers and self-employed people throughout
New Zealand can apply for the Wage Subsidy from 1pm on 4 March, with payments made from Monday 8 March.

Inland Revenue’s Resurgence Support Payment is also available. It’s to help businesses whose revenue has reduced because of a COVID-19 Alert Level 2 or higher. Applications need to be made in MyIR on the Inland Revenue website: www.ird.govt.nz The Resurgence Support Payment is in addition to the payments we’re making.

Support for affected workers at all COVID-19 Alert Levels

If workers are directly affected by COVID-19 there’s support available for businesses to help keep paying them at any Alert Level. It’s important workers tell their employer about their situation as the employer needs to make the application.

The Short-Term Absence Payment is available to employers and self-employed people to help pay workers (or themselves if they’re self-employed) who can’t work from home while they wait for a COVID-19 test result (in line with public health guidance). This includes workers on casual contracts.

The COVID-19 Leave Support Scheme is to help employers and self-employed people pay workers (or themselves if they’re self-employed) who can’t work from home and meet certain health criteria. For example, they have COVID-19 or are defined by Ministry of Health as a ‘close contact’ who has been told to self-isolate for 14 days. This includes workers on casual contracts. Search for ‘contact tracing locations’ on the Ministry of Health website: www.health.govt.nz

To find out more download the factsheet [PDF, 245 KB], or to check your eligibility or apply go to www.workandincome.govt.nz/covid-19(external link)

Media Contact

Page updated: 5 March 2021