A change in your living arrangements or income could affect your place on the social housing register and your eligibility for income-related rent.

If your circumstances change while you are waiting for a Kāinga Ora home, or when you are already living in one, you need to notify the Ministry of Social Development right away by calling:

  • Work and Income on 0800 559 009 or
  • Senior Services on 0800 552 002 if you’re over 65.

A change in circumstances means anything that alters the number of people living in your household, or any changes to the household income. For example, if a family member moves out, or if the money you receive from work, a benefit or board changes.

If you are on the social housing register and you find a house to move to, please let the Ministry of Social Development(external link) know immediately so you can be taken off the register.

You can look at the information held about you at any time. If it's wrong, you can ask for it to be changed.

Page updated: 8 October 2019