Kāinga Ora’s Accessibility Policy
With our new Accessibility Policy, we have committed to ensuring that at least 15% of the new homes we are building across the country meet universal design standards, and the rest meet as many of these universal design standards as possible.
Our new Policy has been developed over the last 12 months through extensive engagement with our stakeholders including our customers and their families / whānau.
The Policy is built around three key outcomes and underpinned by principles and commitments.
Principles and Commitments of the Accessibility Policy
“We commit to supporting our customers to live in a home that best suits them”
In developing our Policy, we have been mindful of the need to commit to some operating principles that will inform how we make decisions and interact with our customers going forward.
To this end, Kāinga Ora:
- Recognises the need to identify and remove barriers faced by all disabled people, and will achieve greater accessibility by aligning with a culture that recognises the dignity and worth of every individual, within a household, within a community
- Will seek to find varied and flexible solutions that meet our customers’ needs and allow them to live with dignity and independence for as long as they choose or are able
- Will engage, support and advocate for the development of a more inclusive and diverse community
- Will focus on removing barriers to full community participation for all our tenants and their whānau
- Will produce accessible solutions reflective of what communities need across a range of locations and types of homes
- Commits to active engagement with communities including the disability sector, and recognises the integral place the disability sector has in our communities
- Has a responsibility to meet our obligations under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and those contained within the New Zealand Disability Strategy 2016-2026 and its linked Disability Action Plan 2019-2023(external link)
Tools, support and accessible versions of the Policy
List of documents and resources available.
- Kāinga Ora Accessibility Policy – [PDF, 2.2 MB](Standard Version)
- Kāinga Ora Accessibility Policy – [DOCX, 1.5 MB](Standard Version)
- Kāinga Ora Accessibility Policy – QR Code [PNG, 5 KB] ( NZ Sign Language Version, NZ Standard Audio Version and Easy Read Version are available via this QR Code)
- Kāinga Ora Accessibility Policy – Policy on a Page [PDF, 34 KB] (A3)
- Kāinga Ora Accessibility Policy – Long easy read [PDF, 4.5 MB]
- Kāinga Ora Accessibility Policy – Long easy read [DOCX, 7.7 MB]
- Kāinga Ora Accessibility Policy – Short easy read [PDF, 2.1 MB]
- Kāinga Ora Accessibility Policy – Short easy read [DOCX, 3.3 MB]
- Kāinga Ora Accessibility Policy – (Braille version). If you require this translation please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, address and contact number. We will courier a copy of this version to you.
- Kāinga Ora Accessibility Policy – (NZ Audio DAISY). If you require this translation please send an email to email@example.com with your name, address and contact number. We will courier a copy of this version to you.
Accessibility Symposium 2020
Twelve months on from our inaugural Accessibility Symposium in 2019, this 2020 event was an exciting opportunity to come together again.
If you need to contact us about the policy you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Page updated: 7 January 2020