COVID-19: We are here to help our tenants
The wellbeing of you, our contractors and people continues to be our top priority. Here is some important information you may need to know.
We've created a Customer Guide [PDF, 554 KB] to help our customers know how Kainga Ora will operate during the different alert levels.
For people in Alert Level 3
- We are taking a compassionate approach to the way we support you and keeping in touch with our customers to check on their wellbeing.
- Our Kāinga Ora offices at Alert Level 3 remain temporarily closed, but we are still open, working remotely and here to help you. You can call us on Freephone 0800 801 601. We are here to help.
- If there is a community room at your complex or apartment, it will remain closed. If a communal laundry is in the community room, you will be able to continue to use the laundry facilities.
For people in Alert Level 2
- Our Kāinga Ora offices are now open for appointments. If you need to visit us, please call us on Freephone 0800 801 601 to make an appointment.
- We’re operating with increased health and safety guidelines to keep our customers, people and contractors safe. This includes things like wearing masks, following social distancing guidelines and practicing good hygiene.
Placements and customer moves
All placements and customer moves will be contactless during Alert Level 3. A Kāinga Ora team member will contact our customers if they are scheduled to move under Alert Level 3.
During Alert Level 2 tenant moves will continue. A Kāinga Ora team member will contact our tenants if they are scheduled to move under Alert Level 2.
Repairs and maintenance
In both Alert Level 2 and 3, all safe repairs can now be done, but only if you are comfortable for the work to go ahead and no one in your household including any children are unwell.
If we have a repair organised and you or someone in your home is unwell, been diagnosed with COVID-19 or is experiencing any symptoms(external link), we need to know this before our contractor arrives at your home.
Before any repairs are completed in your home, you will be asked a number of questions about your health. This will help the contractor identify all the appropriate precautions to take while they are carrying out the repairs in your home.
While a contractor is working in your home, everyone including any children will need to keep a physical distance of 2 metres or more from the contractor. The contractor will also do additional cleaning of surfaces around the repair before and after completing their work.
If your home needs maintaining please give us a call on 0800 801 601. You can also log a job using MyKaingaOra anytime, from the comfort of your home and without having to call us.
Visits to our tenancy customers
At Alert Level 3 all visits with our customers are on hold.
Scheduled visits may occur under Alert level 2. When our people visit you at your Kāinga Ora home, they will be wearing a mask and maintaining physical distancing of 2 metre at all times.
If you or someone in your home is unwell, been diagnosed with COVID-19 or is experiencing any symptoms(external link), we need to know this before our people arrive at your home.
We know COVID-19 can have a financial impact, and we want to ensure we are compassionate and mindful of the real financial hardships COVID-19 can create throughout New Zealand.
Work and Income may be able to help you if you have been financially impacted by COVID-19. Please also let us know of any change in your circumstances. Work and Income will keep their website updated with the relevant information on what you customers need to do.
Page updated: 11 October 2021